The full history of Mahasthangarh (মহাস্থানগড় ) | Bogra | Rajshahi | Bangladesh |

Mahasthangarh ( মহাস্থানগড় ) is one of the earliest urban archaeological sites so far discovered in Bangladesh. The village Mahasthan in Shibganj thana of Bogra District contains the remains of an ancient city which was called Pundranagara or Paundravardhanapura in the territory of Pundravardhana.

Excavated mounds:

Gobhindo Bhita, a temple close to the north-eastern corner of the citadel.
Khulnar Dhap, a temple 1 km north of the citadel.
Mangalkot, a temple 400m south of Khulnar Dhap.
Godaibari Dhap, a temple 1 km south of Khulnar Dhap.
Totaram Panditer Dhap, a monastery 4 km north-west of the citadel.
Noropotir Dhap (Vashu Bihara), a group of monasteries 1 km north-west of Totaram Ponditer Dhap (said to be the place where Po-shi-po Bihara mentioned by Xuanzang (Hieun Tsang) was located).
Gokul Medh (Lokhindorer Bashor Ghor), a temple 3 km south of the citadel
Shkonder Dhap, a temple 2 km south-east of Gokul Medh.

Major unexcavated mounds:

Shiladebir Ghat
Chunoru Dighi Dhap
Kaibilki Dhap
Juraintala
Poroshuramer Shobhabati
Balai Dhap
Prochir Dhibi
Kanchir Hari Dhibi
Lohonar Dhap
Khujar Dhap
Doshatina Dhap
Dhoniker Dhap
Mondirir Dorgah
Bishmordana Dhibi
Malinar Dhap
Malpukuria Dhap
Jogir Dhap
Podmobhatir Dhap
Kanai Dhap
Dulu Mojhir Bhita
Podda Debhir Bhita
Rastala Dhap
Shoshitola Dhap
Dhonbandhor Dhap
Chader Dhap
Shindinath Dhap
Shalibahon Rajar Kacharibari Dhipi
Kacher Angina
Mongolnather Dhap
ChhoutoTengra/ Babur Dhap/ Kethar Dhap

entrance of mahasthangarh
Boro Tengra/ Shonyashir Dhap

Bairagir Bhita: Constructed/ reconstructed in four periods: 4th–5th century AD, 6th–7th century, 9th–10th century, and 11th century. Excavations have revealed impoverished base ruins resembling temples. Two sculptured sandstone pillars have been recovered.

Khodarpathar Bhita: Some pieces of stone carved with transcendent Buddha along with devotees in anjali (kneeling with folded hands) recovered.

Parasuramer Prasad: Contains remains of three occupation periods – 8th century AD findings include stone Visnupatta of Pala period, 15th- 16th century findings include some glazed shreds of Muslim origin, and the third period has revealed two coins of the British East India Company issued in 1835 and 1853.

Mankalir Dhap: terracotta plaques, bronze Ganesha, bronze Garuda etc. were discovered. Base ruins of a 15-domed mosque (15th–16th century) was revealed.

Govinda Bhita: Situated 185 m north-east of Jahajghata and opposite the site museum. Remains dated from 3rd century BC to 15th century AD. Base remains of two temples have been exposed.

Totaram Panditer Dhap: Situated in the village Vihara, about 6 km north-west of the citadel. Structural remains of a damaged monastery have been exposed.

Narapatir Dhap: Situated in the village Basu Vihara, 1.5 km north-west of Totaram Panditer Dhap. Base remains of two monasteries and a temple have been exposed. Cunningham identified this place as the one visited by Xuanzang (Hiuen Tsang) in the 7th century AD.

Gokul Medh: Also known as Behular Basar Ghar or Lakshindarer Medh, situated in the village Gokul, 3 km to the south of the citadel, off the Bogra-Rangpur road, connected by a narrow motorable road about 1 km. Excavations in 1934–36 revealed a terraced podium with 172 rectangular blind cells. It is dated 6th–7th century. Local mythology associates it with legendary Lakshmindara-Behula. The village Gokul also has several other mound Kansr Dhap has been excavated.

Khulnar Dhap: Situated in village Chenghispur, 700 m west of the north-west corner of the citadel has revealed remains of a temple.
Bhimer Jangal This well-known embankment starts from the north-east corner of Bogra town and proceeds northwards for about 30 miles to a marshy place called Damukdaher bit, under police station Govindaganj (Rangpur District) and it is said, goes oil to Ghoraghat.

From the present findings it can be deduced that there was a city called Pundravardhana at Mahasthangarh with a vast suburb around it, on all sides except the east, where the once mighty Karatoya used to flow. It is evident that the suburbs of Pundravardhana extended at least to Baghopara on the south-west, Gokul on the south, Vamanpara on the west, and Sekendrabad on the north.

Fair Use Disclaimer:
This channel may use some copyrighted materials without specific authorization of the owner but contents used here falls under the “Fair Use” as described in The Copyright Act 2000 Law No. 28 of the year 2000 of Bangladesh under Chapter 6, Section 36 and Chapter 13 Section 72. According to that law allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.

Leave a Comment

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap